This is such an easy dish to make, and so easy to adapt
You can definitely tell we have Italian roots in this family, as Oliver and I are fans of pasta in any way, shape or form. I think I actually lived on pasta of every description whilst I was pregnant – okay maybe that better explains Oliver´s pasta addiction.
Nacho is more of a meat man, but every now and again he gives in and gobbles down a good plate of pasta…with meat on the side of course.
Prep time: Around 10-15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 mins
My local organic farm has started bringing in some organic Asparagus, so I needed an excuse to include this green Veg in our diet.
3 Shallots, peeled and sliced
2 cups of Asparagus, cut into small pieces
1 cup of fresh mushrooms (any type will do)
3 cloves of garlic
2 cups fresh baby spinach
1tsp lemon juice
1 pack of fresh pasta
I use this fresh pasta, available at SuperCor
1 cup low-fat cheese (you can use low-fat ricotta, queso fresco or low fat philadelphia – all work very well)
1 egg yolk
You can start by cooking your mushrooms and asparagus two ways. You can either put them all on a baking tray and roast them in the oven for twenty minutes, or, if you are short on time (like I was) you can cook them in a pan with a drizzling of olive oil.
1. First I cooked the mushrooms and asparagus together over a medium heat and drizzled in olive oil, seasoning with salt and pepper.
2. Meanwhile cook your pasta and set aside the cooking water when you are finished.
3. In a separate pan, cook your shallots, then add your garlic and cook for a further two minutes.
4. Add the Spinach and lemon zest to your shallots and season with salt and pepper.
5. Reduce the heat, and cook the spinach until it has wilted.
6. Mix all of your vegetables togetherin one pan, and add your pasta.
7. Place your cheese in a bowl .
8. In a separate bowl, temper your egg yolk by slowly whisking in the reserved hot pasta water. This serves to gently cook the yolk and make the sauce more creamy.
9. Pour the temper yolk onto the pasta and vegetables and mix it all up.
Dinner is served